Wednesday, February 08, 2006

For Coretta Scott King, a funeral fit for a leader in her own right

Poet Maya Angelou (C) speaks at funeral services for Coretta Scott King as U.S. President George Bush and his wife Laura listen at the New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia, Georgia February 7, 2006. REUTERS/Jason Reed

PBS coverage

MAYA ANGELOU: I pledge to you, my sister, I will never cease - I mean to say, I want to see a better world. I mean to say I want to see some peace somewhere. I mean to say I want to see some honesty, some fair play. I want to see kindness and justice. This is what I want to see, and I want to see it through my eyes and through your eyes Coretta Scott King.

(Singing) I open my mouth to the Lord, and I won't turn back no -- I will go. I shall go. I'll see what the end is going to be.

DN! Last tributes to Mrs. King

Four presidents join thousands at King funeral

If you get a chance, please watch Mrs. King's funeral on Cspan. In particular, I found the speeches of Jimmy Carter, Reverend Joseph Lowery, John Conyers, Maya Angelou, Malaak Shabazz to be very inspiring.

Here is Reverend Lowery's standing ovation



Children view the flowered draped casket of Coretta Scott King following the funeral ceremony at the New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia, Ga., Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2006. (AP Photo/Ric Feld)


More on King Funeral

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
WWW Strange Fruit